Bernina 1530 & 1630 Roller Ball Sockets

1530 & 1630 Roller Ball SocketIf you are the proud owner of a Bernina 1530 or 1630, there may come a time when your cursor no longer moves up and down, or left and right. There are typically two reasons why this might occur. The main circuit board, or “S-print” as Bernina likes to call it, may have something wrong with it, but more likely you just need to have the roller ball socket replaced.

The image to the above-right shows a roller ball socket. Click on it if you’d like to see a larger view. What you should notice is a couple of tiny axles which go through white tire-like contact points. These white “tires” are what contacts the roller ball itself. When these tires get old and damaged by contaminants and oils from your hands, then they no longer make a good contact with the roller ball itself.

Fortunately, these roller ball sockets ( Bernina part number 007515.71.00 ) are not really expensive. Installation is something that your local Bernina dealer will have to do, but should not take longer than an hour or hour and a half.

If the roller ball socket is not the problem, you will need to have your S-print sent to Bernina for repair. This can take a couple of weeks, including shipping time to and from Bernina.

Deadra Lore on 3/8/12 @ 2:32pm

Thank you so much for the informative website! Your customer service is awesome - you are so friendly and helpful!!

TeresaC on 10/26/12 @ 7:04pm

Super! This is my problem today after having stored my machine for the past 7 years. It may be stiff for a while, I'll see if the problem continues.

lynne on 3/12/16 @ 3:43pm

my model 1530 Bernina is stuck in reverse

b.gottier on 3/15/16 @ 2:17pm

Lynne, you'll need to bring the machine to your local sewing machine technician. This problem could be caused by a number of issues, and none are the type of issues you could fix on your own.

Viola breen on 8/26/16 @ 6:44am

If the ball has been replaced by certified tech (fl.)is 1530 still ok?rarely used anymore.
Age related eye problems..now threading problem .90 yrs(feels like 50)

b.gottier on 8/26/16 @ 8:30pm

We can't really say if a machine is OK without checking it out. If you're thinking about selling the machine and want to be able to claim that it's fully functional, you should have it serviced and checked by a sewing machine technician.

Pat Wester on 6/19/16 @ 6:45pm

I had a problem with the roller ball on my 1530 as you describe (cursor wouldn't move). My dealer's technician checked it out and said it was the circuit board. At the cost of $300, he sent it to the company and they replaced the board. That was 2 1/2 years ago and all seemed fine with the machine. Recently, I started to have this problem. The machine will "blink" and all the settings revert to the default. At first this was an occasional thing and I thought it might be caused by our electric company having hiccups. But today it happened several times in a row. Could this be a problem with the circuit board that was replaced?

b.gottier on 6/20/16 @ 8:20am

It could be, but it could be with the power board as well. There are two main boards in your machine, the power board (L-print) and main board (S-print). If I were you I'd ask your dealer to send the entire machine to Bernina, that way they can do whatever it takes to make it right.

Pat Wester on 6/21/16 @ 6:56pm

Thanks for the reply. I love this machine but I hesitate to spend more money on repairs. My dealer said that when the circuit board was replaced, the machine would last me for the rest of my life. Maybe he was being sarcastic since I'm 69 years old and the "rest of my life" is a time frame that is in question at this age!

b.gottier on 6/22/16 @ 9:42am

Honestly, I never liked the 1530 and 1630 machines because of the roller ball, so it would be easy for me to tell you to get something else. One of the great things about older Bernina machines is their resale value is usually pretty good. Perhaps if you sell it you could buy something new?

kathi on 9/18/17 @ 11:24am

Hi Pat, I have the same problem with my Bernina 1630. It will be sewing a selected pattern, then it "blinks" and reverts to
the straight stitch. I have had a Bernina repairman work on it to the tune of $400. It worked for 10 minutes, then problem returned.
Repairman suggested our home voltage is too low, causing the machine to "blink". Did you ever get your machine fixed? If so, what was the fix? Thanks

Betty on 7/14/16 @ 8:35pm

I emailed a dealer and he said the roller ball (cursor) would be 300.00and 30.00 labor does that sound right it seams like lot to me pleas let me know .thanks b roe

b.gottier on 7/15/16 @ 12:45pm

Seems about right, except the labor seems a bit on the cheap side.

SunDevil Knitter on 2/16/17 @ 2:43pm

Just had my roller ball and a circuit replaced. It was done at the Aurora ,IL center. Quoted $600. Charged $806.00. Dealer used is in Crown Point,IN.

Barbara Fortney on 6/27/17 @ 1:14pm

I have a 1530 that need a roller ball and I can't find one any where. Any ideas?

b.gottier on 6/28/17 @ 10:36pm

Have you contacted a Bernina dealer? If they can't get one for you, then you might try ebay, or some of the other sewing machine part sales type websites.

Cris on 12/26/17 @ 1:36pm

I'm trying to fix the roller ball socket on my mom's 1630. The dealer told me that Bernina recently discontinued servicing this and the 1530. I've scoured ebay and the internet trying to find a roller ball socket part and had no luck. Do you have any ideas?

b.gottier on 12/27/17 @ 7:07pm

Knowing how the roller ball socket works, and having repaired them in the past (by replacing them), I don't see how it could be fixed without a new socket. If you can manage to get the socket off the circuit board, you'd see that the 2 rotary sensor flags have little donut-like contact points for the roller ball, and it's usually those donuts they get dirty or dried out, and they no longer grip the roller ball. I've you can find some material that's exactly the same size plus a couple thousandths of an inch in diameter, and if you can manage to replace those little donuts, I think youd be able to fix it. Good luck on your journey. If you can find a way to repair those sockets, you might be able to do it for other people and make some money.

tom.p on 5/1/18 @ 9:39am

My wife's machine has the same rollerball problem. If one were to get hold of a new socket, is the way you'd have done the repair is to unsolder the socket from the motherboard and solder the new one in place? I suppose one would have to remove the socket from the board to attempt the repair you've previously suggested. (I'm pretty handy at this sort of thing; I used to fix typewriters and I think I might be able to engineer a solution).

b.gottier on 5/2/18 @ 2:43pm

Tom, the rollerball socket is only held in place with screws/clips. No soldering, but those clips can be so tight you might think you're going to break the circuit board trying to get the socket off. If you can come up with a solution that doesn't require removing the socket it would be better, but as of right now I don't think there are any other options, so one option is better than none. I'd guess you would be able to make some good money if you did come up with a fix of some sort.

craig on 1/6/18 @ 9:54am

The trackball on my Bernina 1630 works, but poorly; sometimes it doesn't move during several spins. I find putting an upward pressure on the ball before turning helps. From the blogs I know it is either the socket or the motherboard. I want to replace the socket to see if this is the fix, but I can't find one on ebay or locally. Does anyone know where I can get this.
thanks, craig

b.gottier on 1/8/18 @ 12:17pm

Craig, I heard that Bernina discontinued the socket, so I think you're out of luck. You might try calling Bernina directly.

Liesel van Niekerk on 6/7/18 @ 11:53am

Hi there
I am from south africa. I own a Bernina 1530
Do you know where I can buy a Roller Ball socket?
Your assistance will be highly appreciated

Kindest regards
Liesel
+27 832801527

b.gottier on 7/15/18 @ 9:05am

As far as I know, and based on what I've been hearing, the roller ball sockets are no longer available. Unless somebody starts making them again, it means bad news for 1530 and 1630 owners.

Carol on 6/19/18 @ 1:51pm

I have a 1630 - love the machine but the rollerball has stopped working. Took it to a dealer - they opened it up and found the contact points are dried out. They said they contacted Bernina but they no longer sell the socket and I would have to get the complete board - $600. Is there any other way I can repair this as the board is not in my budget?

b.gottier on 7/15/18 @ 9:14am

Carol, for $600 you'd be better off buying yourself a new $600 sewing machine. I know you probably love your 1630, but at this point that $600 probably exceeds its value.